Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is scrumptious. It is my Grandma Florence's, and she called it "Hamburger Relish". Simple and easy, I can it in pints and give it for Christmas. I've never found any as good.
- 4 quarts ground cucumbers
- 1 quart ground onion
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 5 tablespoons sea salt
- 6 cups vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- Combine cukes, onions, ice and salt.
- Let stand for 2 hours,.
- then drain.
- Mix the next 6 ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, add ground cuke mixture, and cook for 20 minutes, or until it begins to thicken.
- While still hot, seal in sterilized jars.
- As far as preparation time, I use Grandma's old hand grinder, so I'm sure it would be much faster with a motorized food grinder.
Thank you Gayle!!!! I did tweek this a wee bit but kept mostly to the recipe. I cut back just a tiny bit on the cukes and added a red bell and some hot peppers. The spices in this recipe are perfect. This is sooooooo good. I haven't even tried it cold yet, just snitched a spoonful from the pan as it was cooking so I know it's gunna be one of the best relishes I've ever made. My family will be thanking you as well as soon as they get their "I love you" jars.
This is really good! It was easy to make with few ingredients. I love it in tuna salad. I never buy sweet pickle relish now that I have this. Its great in potato salad as well as on hot dogs or sandwiches. It stores very well ,I made 1/2 pints. It would make a nice gift. I did use a food processer and I will be making this again. Thanks for the recipe Grandma!