Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon water, hot
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon artificial vanilla flavoring
- 1 -2 package chocolate chips (not chocolate flavored)
- 2 cups oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In large mixing bowl add the sugar, eggs and shortening. Blend together.
- Slowly add the flour, salt and baking soda and mix well.
- Add the water, vanilla and chocolate chips and mix.
- Add oatmeal and mix until all ingredients are blended together.
- Using a spoon, drop dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies appear a golden brown. Repeat until all dough is used.
- The size of the spoon will determine the size of the cookie.
This is a little late to tell you, regarding the cookies, but in our very old recipe it says to dissolve the baking soda in the hot water, then add to the egg, shortening, sugar and vanilla, creamed mixture. I was wondering how many it makes, but it is probably about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies.
DH says these are the best, he really loved them and i will be making them again. The only thing I don't understand is why the teaspoon of hot water?? I did use it , just what is the purpose of it , thanks for posting a keeper.