Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. I think these taste even better than the Grandma's brand I use to buy as a teenager at convenience stores - same taste, but much fresher because it is homemade!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine raisins with water in a food processor and blend on high speed for about 1 minute or until very smooth.
- Combine this raisin puree with the vegetable shortening, egg, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix well with electric mixer until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Pour this dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix well until ingredients are incorporated.
- Mix in raisins.
- Roll 3 tablespoon portions of the dough into a ball in your hands and press to 1/2-inch flat on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Be careful not to overcook, or the cookies will not be chewy.
- Store in a sealed container.