This is my grandma's oatmeal cookie recipe. Once she got a deep freeze there was always a coffee tin full of them in the freezer. Every afternoon around 3:00 or 4:00 my grandpa would come in from the fields and she'd pull a couple of them out to put on a plate for them to enjoy with their afternoon coffee. I've now passed this recipe on to my daughter who was named after her too. A definite heirloom recipe. These are a crunch cookie so full of nuts and coconut that they are like eating a bowl of granola or oatmeal in a cookie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream sugars and shortening together.
- 2Beat in eggs, lemon extract and vanilla extract.
- 3In a separate bowl mix remaining ingredients.
- 4Add dry to the wet and mix well.
- 5Make into loaves.
- 6Refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- 7When ready to bake, slice and bake in a slow oven at 250-300°F - Slow baking is very important.
- 8Bake until all cookies are done about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Oatmeal Icebox Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.6
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 315.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 35.7 g
- Protein 8.3 g