Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my grandma's oatmeal cookie recipe. Once she got a deep freeze there was always a coffee tin full of them in the freezer. Every afternoon around 3:00 or 4:00 my grandpa would come in from the fields and she'd pull a couple of them out to put on a plate for them to enjoy with their afternoon coffee. I've now passed this recipe on to my daughter who was named after her too. A definite heirloom recipe. These are a crunch cookie so full of nuts and coconut that they are like eating a bowl of granola or oatmeal in a cookie.
- Cream sugars and shortening together.
- Beat in eggs, lemon extract and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix remaining ingredients.
- Add dry to the wet and mix well.
- Make into loaves.
- Refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- When ready to bake, slice and bake in a slow oven at 250-300°F - Slow baking is very important.
- Bake until all cookies are done about 10 minutes.