Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Received this recipe from a former co-worker several years ago. This has turned out to be my husband's favorite meatloaf...very moist and tangy! This is also a way to sneak more veggies into your children's diet!
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs hamburger (I usually purchase 80% lean)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 carrot, grated fine
- 1 green pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 slices bread, toasted in your toaster and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- After toasting and cubing your bread, soak it in the milk.
- Mix remainder of meatloaf ingredients together well.
- Add toast cubes/milk and mix lightly.
- Place meatloaf into a loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour or until a meat thermometer inserted reads 160 degrees.
- Prepare the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer while meatloaf is cooking.
- When meatloaf is thoroughly cooked, remove any extra fat that has accumulated in the loaf pan and slice into serving size pieces.
- Pour sauce over and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Make sure to get the sauce in between the slices.
- Serve and enjoy!