Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was a favorite as a child growing up. It is easy to make, and great for packing in lunch kits.
- 1 lb dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- Date filling: Place water and dates in saucepan. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the filling is thickened and smooth. If the cooking mixture is too thick, add a little water.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbs into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Top with Date filling mixture. Spread evenly with a spatula.
- Top with remaining half of crumbs.
- Bake 350 35 minutes til lightly browned.
- Cut into 42 bars.
This cake is wonderful. The filling has no sugar so not too sweet. I may cut down the brown sugar in the base. All in all I added to my favorites! Thanks
Where i come from we call these Date Squares but it's the same thing.----Followed your recipe and it turned out great. Enjoyed these while watching the hockey playoffs. Thanks for posting .