Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This mac and cheese was made by my Grandma, mother, me and my children. It was my favorite growing up and now my youngest daughter's. Recently she (13 years old) asked if we were having mac n cheese for dinner. I asked why. She said because the white casserole dish was out. She then went on to request that she get the casserole dish when I die - not because of its value - because of her fondness for her Grandma's Mac n cheese. Sounds a little boring, but not. My husband likes to top his with a little Tabasco. My mother insisted on using Creamettes brand of macaroni.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the pasta al dente to package directions. Drain.
- In a 3-quart casserole dish layer macaroni, juice, salt, pepper, and cheese. Be sure to get the edges and corners with the juice.
- Repeat layers until casserole is full, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted through and top begins to brown.
This was a fabulous recipe, just tried it tonight. I have used mac and cheese with tomato juice and it was great, but this was even better. Not a bit boring on taste, just qucik and easy to make!
Should be 3 and 1/2 stars. This was yummy comfort food and as simple as it gets. I halved it and I think you could use less juice. Undercook the mac a little so it doesn't get mushy.