Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Makes enough for 2 pies. I totally guessed the time. Read all the instuctions and make your own guess. The way this recipe was written was a little confusing. I hope I deciphered my Grandmother's handwritting and the meaning of her instructions accurately!
For the crusts
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
For the Pie
- 1 (3 ounce) envelope gelatin (plain or lemon)
- 4 cups cold water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- For the crusts: Beat egg whites with salt and vinegar and add sugar until thick.
- Spread into 2 greased pie pans and bake for 45 minutes at 300 degrees F. Cool.
- For Pies: Dissolve the gelatin in 4 cups cold water.
- In a double boiler, heat the dissolved gelatin solution with the lemon rind and lemon juice until it reaches a custard-like consistency and then let it cool down.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites with the sugar and salt until stiff.
- Fold the egg mixture into the cooled gelatin mix.
- Gently fill the pie crusts with the pie mixture and chill.