Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a chili with curry that was brought to our preliminary chili cook-off in October 2007 by member Bruce Kravitz. The photo was taken post-devouring at the potluck.
- 354.88 ml bulgur
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots (chopped or grated)
- 709.77 ml cauliflower
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 0.59 ml ground cloves or 0.59 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 29.58 ml ground cumin
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 (1587.57 g) can diced tomatoes
- 14.79 ml tamari soy sauce
- 236.59 ml cashews
- Rinse bulghur in a sieve.
- Put bulghur in medium bowl and cover with boiling water by 2 inches?.
- Soak uncovered for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain thoroughly by spooning batches into a sieve and pressing out all of the liquid with the back of a spoon.
- As the batches are completed, put them in another medium bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes, tossing often.
- Add carrots and cauliflower and saute for additional 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the turmeric, coriander, cumin, cloves and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the drained chickpeas.
- Mix and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the drained bulghur, tomatoes and tamari and mix thoroughly.
- Cook, tossing occasionally, 15 minutes, or until piping hot.
- Toss cashews on top and serve with plain yogurt, for contrasting flavor & texture.