1/1 Photo of Grandma's Lebanese Chili
1 hr 15 mins
Vegetarian Network Austin's Note:
This is a chili with curry that was brought to our preliminary chili cook-off in October 2007 by member Bruce Kravitz. The photo was taken post-devouring at the potluck.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots (chopped or grated)
- 3 cups cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves or 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup cashews
- 1Rinse bulghur in a sieve.
- 2Put bulghur in medium bowl and cover with boiling water by 2 inches?.
- 3Soak uncovered for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- 4Drain thoroughly by spooning batches into a sieve and pressing out all of the liquid with the back of a spoon.
- 5As the batches are completed, put them in another medium bowl.
- 6Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 7Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes, tossing often.
- 8Add carrots and cauliflower and saute for additional 2 minutes.
- 9Sprinkle on the turmeric, coriander, cumin, cloves and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- 10Add the drained chickpeas.
- 11Mix and cook 2 minutes.
- 12Stir in the drained bulghur, tomatoes and tamari and mix thoroughly.
- 13Cook, tossing occasionally, 15 minutes, or until piping hot.
- 14Toss cashews on top and serve with plain yogurt, for contrasting flavor & texture.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Lebanese Chili
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.9
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 684.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 9.4 g