Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a chili with curry that was brought to our preliminary chili cook-off in October 2007 by member Bruce Kravitz. The photo was taken post-devouring at the potluck.
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots (chopped or grated)
- 3 cups cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup cashews
- Rinse bulghur in a sieve.
- Put bulghur in medium bowl and cover with boiling water by 2 inches?.
- Soak uncovered for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain thoroughly by spooning batches into a sieve and pressing out all of the liquid with the back of a spoon.
- As the batches are completed, put them in another medium bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes, tossing often.
- Add carrots and cauliflower and saute for additional 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the turmeric, coriander, cumin, cloves and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the drained chickpeas.
- Mix and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the drained bulghur, tomatoes and tamari and mix thoroughly.
- Cook, tossing occasionally, 15 minutes, or until piping hot.
- Toss cashews on top and serve with plain yogurt, for contrasting flavor & texture.