Recipe by Cadillacgirl
This is basically sauerkraut and noodles, but it's oh so fantastic... Compete and total comfort food. Not sure how close my measurements are as Grandma cooking is measured in handfuls and pinches... You can put more or less sauerkraut depending on how much you like it! By the way, the noodles cook pretty fast, so don't walk away!
- 3 cups sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 slices bread, cut in cubes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (more if necessary)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon until crispy and drain on paper towel. If you like, save a bit of the bacon drippings for later.
- Drain sauerkraut and rinse. Put in saucepan. Add water just to cover and boil slowly for about a half an hour. Drain. Add cooked bacon which has been cut in pieces. For extra flavour add some bacon drippings as well!
- Meanwhile, make the noodles. Put a pot of salted water on the stove to boil. Combine dry ingredients; add water. Mix thoroughly.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead. Can roll dough with hands into long ropes. Cut into small strips. Drop into boiling salted water until the noodles float to the top. Drain and toss with a bit of butter or oil to keep them from sticking to each other.
- Combine noodles and sauerkraut mixture and heat through. If you like, brown the bread cubes in the butter to make homemade croutons and add to the mixture!