Recipe by Dana Z
These cookies are the best cookies I have ever made. (That is saying a lot because I bake all the time!) Everyone we serve these to loves them and requests the recipe. My mother created this recipe using the orginal Nieman Marcus cookie recipe. We have added tons of different ingredients but here are the ones we use the most.
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter (for the lower fat version) or 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce (for the lower fat version)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Shift together in a separate bowl
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Mix dry ingredients into wet 2 cups at a time then add
- 24 ounces chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 cups of chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup of dried unsweetened coconut (you can add whatever you want) (optional)
Then mix in by hand
- 6 -10 cups oatmeal (depends on how much you like oatmeal)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drop spoonfulls onto a greased cookie sheet then flatten with back of spoon or hand.
- These cookies do not spread much during baking.
- Bake in oven at 350° for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the cookie. (I usually bake 12 minutes).
- Let the cookies cool before moving off cookie sheet.