Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 9 mins
This easy-to-make lentil soup makes a great main course. It will nourish the tummies and souls of young and old alike. Add a tossed green salad and toasted garlic bread, and dinner is ready! Tip: For a real treat serve with Kalamata Olive Feta Bread or Focaccia.
- 453.59 g Italian pork sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 226.79 g baby carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1656.13 ml vegetable broth or 1656.13 ml chicken stock
- 453.59 g package dry lentils
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 236.59 ml good white wine
- 12.32 ml italian seasoning salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- shredded parmesan cheese (to taste) (optional)
- Remove casings from the sausage and crumble into a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic, celery, carrots, and onion to pot. Turn up flame to medium-high; cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the broth, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, basil, oregano and wine to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Season to taste with seasoning salt and black pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- Give soup a big stir, serve in warmed bowls and garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Chef's Tip: Add extra broth when reheating this soup, since it will thicken as it stands.