1 hr 24 mins
1 hr 9 mins
Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
This easy-to-make lentil soup makes a great main course. It will nourish the tummies and souls of young and old alike. Add a tossed green salad and toasted garlic bread, and dinner is ready! Tip: For a real treat serve with Kalamata Olive Feta Bread or Focaccia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian pork sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 7 cups vegetable broth or 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup good white wine
- 2 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- shredded parmesan cheese (to taste) (optional)
- 1Remove casings from the sausage and crumble into a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- 2Add garlic, celery, carrots, and onion to pot. Turn up flame to medium-high; cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- 3Add the broth, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, basil, oregano and wine to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- 4Season to taste with seasoning salt and black pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- 5Give soup a big stir, serve in warmed bowls and garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 6Chef's Tip: Add extra broth when reheating this soup, since it will thicken as it stands.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.5
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 562.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: