Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A wonderful authentic recipe great for St. Paddy's or any day !
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup raisins
- caraway seed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in large bowl.
- Mix in raisins and caraway seeds (optional). Melt shortening. Beat eggs and combine with milk.
- Mix liquids with dry mixture. Knead on well-floured surface. Shape into a round loaf and place in floured iron skillet.
- Mark an “X” (lightly score) across the top using a sharp knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Mmmmmm! I've never had soda bread before, so I don't know how authentic this recipe is, but I know it's yummy! It basically tastes like one big raisin scone! A little bit dry though, and very dense, so can't eat a lot at one time! But I'd like to! Thanks Chef #435235!