Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
My grandmother's original recipe from the Ukraine. This light, fluffy cake is delicious, healthy and smells heavenly. It also makes the ideal lunchbox treat. Keeps well at room temperature, but chances are, it will disappear before you can even think about storing it!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (can be replaced with brown sugar for a darker-coloured cake)
- 1 cup dark honey
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Line a 31 cm x 21 cm (12" x 8") tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, gradually adding sugar until the mixture is very thick (about 3 min with an electric mixer on high speed).
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until pale and creamy. Add honey and oil, and mix until combined.
- Fold the honey mixture into the egg whites.
- Add chopped walnuts and flour. In a tablespoon, combine baking soda with vinegar (the mixture will fizz) and add to mixing bowl. Beat on high speed until well combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50 min, or until a skewer inserted in to the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake in tin. To serve, slice into diamond-shaped slices and arrange on a platter.
I just made this for a snack for my kids when they came home from school! All of them loved it! And I shared some with my neighbor and they loved it too! Great recipe and I made it as is! Thanks for sharing!
I just made this today, and it's awesome! I had to make a few changes because I didn't have any chopped nuts or vinegar. So I substituted with baking powder instead of baking soda and vinegar, then I used some nutty granola instead of just chopped nuts. The texture was wonderful. Thanks.