Recipe by Kat1
My Grandmother's delightful and VERY TASTY recipe for macaroni in cheese, which is FAR better than the kind right out of the box. Our whole family enjoys this recipe, especially the kids. She often has to make twice the recipe to satisfy just my grandpa and uncles!
Top Review by Shevon D.
I've made a variation on this recipe for years now. I cooked the macaroni to just barely al dente and put it in the baking dish. I mixed the milk, egg in a container. I knew my tastes differed so I added 3 tbsps of chilli oil, 1 tbsp of garlic powder, 1 tbsp of black pepper, 1 tbsp of dried basil and abit of salt. I poured it over the macaroni and then added lots of shredded mozz and cheddar cheese. Stirred it and baked for 50 minutes. This recipe if made by the book would turn out extremely bland tasting. This recipe in my opinion is meant to be a general recipe for you to build on to what you like. I also didn't have a problem with it being soupy at all, oddly enough I wish I had added more milk mixture. I gave it two stars because I think it's a good base - something to build on if you are like me and prefer spice and bold flavours.
- 2 cups macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni until soft.
- Use a large roast-pan or bowl which you would cook casseroles in the oven, and put a thin layer of macaroni upon the bottom, and then spread cheese over that layer, and repeat this layering process until the cheese and macaroni are gone (makes about 3-4 layers each).
- Mix salt, pepper, eggs and milk together.
- Pour into layered macaroni & cheese, until filled at the top (or until it is gone).
- Sprinkle w/ paprika on top.
- Place in oven, Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (covered).