- 1 1⁄2 lbs dried yellow-eyed peas
- 1 small onion
- 1 apple, peeled
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight.
- Bring to a boil in same water, adding more water to cover as necessary, and simmer until tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Put onion and apple in bottom of bean pot, fill half full with beans, add salt pork, and pour in remaining beans.
- Pour maple syrup over beans, sprinkle with mustard and salt, and cover with boiling water.
- Bake 5 hours.
- Preparation times include overnight soak and baking time.