Recipe by senseicheryl
This recipe was featured in an email today from Gooseberry Patch. It is from their Christmas in the Country Cookbook.
- 1 large day-old white bread, torn
- 4 -6 corn muffins, day-old ones broken up
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 2 tart apples, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 dash dried parsley, to taste
- 1 dash salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place torn bread in a large baking dish; mix in muffins, if using. Bake at 250 degrees for about 30 minutes, until dried out. Set aside.
- Melt butter over low heat in a large skillet; sauté onion, celery and mushrooms, if using, until tender. Add apples, walnuts and raisins; stir to coat with butter. Mix in water and seasonings; pour over bread and toss to moisten. Add a little more water if bread is very dry.
- Use to stuff a 12 to 15-pound turkey before roasting; do not overstuff. Or spread stuffing in a lightly greased 9"x5" baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.