Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I just love this recipe. I've never written it down and I hope this is pretty close, because I always just make it by heart. As a child I always demanded this during Thanksgiving and Xmas. It's a savory and delicious side dish anytime. UPDATE: Just went home to Michigan and found copy my grandmother wrote down and this recipe is EXACT! It's scaled down 1/3 so make double and triple this recipe if you have a large family, because I GUARANTEE they'll love it!
- Heat oven to 350°F (unless stuffing in a turkey or chicken, cook as usual for a stuffed bird).
- In a small sauce pan add half the onions, all the celery, all the potato and all the broth and water. Bring to a boil and cook around 10-15 minutes or until potatoes, onions and celery are nice and soft. Mash with a potato masher until vegetables are mashed into fine pieces.
- In a frying pan brown ground beef with the other half of the onion. Drain about half of the fat. Add garlic salt, sage and pepper.
- In a large bowl add beef mixture, vegetable liquid, egg and torn pieces of wheat bread. Mix until combined. If too dry you might need to add a little more water or you can use beef broth.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until nice and brown.