Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a casserole my grandmother would serve using her leftover ham from Easter. I also make it to use up leftover ham, or I buy a ham slice and make it anytime because so many people like it. Enjoy!
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham (the cubes shouldn't be too big)
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (grate bread or put in the food processor, any bread will work but I prefer a firmer one like Pepperi)
- 1 tablespoon cold butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- Cut cauliflower into florets (about 3 cups). Cook in boiling salted water to cover 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender; drain and set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Lower heat to medium. Add cheese and sour cream, stirring until cheese melts. (Do not boil.).
- Stir cauliflower, ham and mushrooms into cheese sauce; pour into a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over casserole. Cut 1 tablespoon butter into pieces and sprinkle evenly over breadcrumbs.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Wonderful. I substituted broccoli florets for the cauliflower since it's what I had. Just as good without the mushrooms, by the way. My husband asks for this on a regular basis!
Well i havnt actually aten it yet but it is currently cooking...i subsituted the sour cream for ranch and calliflour/mushrooms for carrots corn peas green bean and lima beans, and had colby jack cheese instead of chedder!!!!
Made a nice lighter supper. I had some leftover roasted red peppers, so I added them in and I also used fresh sauteed mushrooms. Served with some garlic bread on the side. :)