Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Dress up some canned green beans! Tangy and sweet.
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, reserve 1 tbsp bacon fat
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces diced water chestnuts, drained
- 16 ounces green beans, drain but RESERVE 1/2 cup liquid
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- salt, if needed to taste
- In a saucepan, brown onions and water chestnuts in the reserved bacon fat.
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup green bean liquid, and all other ingredients to the saucepan.
- Heat just to a boiling and serve.
I'm not really a fan of green beans but loved them this way. The crunch of the water chestnuts is a lovely addition and also the sweet, salty combo. Thanks for posting!
Excellent! So easy and so tasty. I was tempted at first to thicken the sauce with some cornstarch, but I'm glad I didn't. It was perfect with just some of the liquid on the beans and water chestnuts.