2 hrs 15 mins
Beth Brady.'s Note:
I don't know where my grandma found this recipe but it is one of the family favorites! We always called it "Ketchup Stew." I know, it sounds weird, but it is truly the best stew I have ever had! Great for cold winter nights. Serve with a salad and buttered bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pan, season beef with garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook until browned.
- 2Place in a large pot, adding water until meat is covered.
- 3Add ketchup, paprika and onion, stirring until ketchup is dissolved.
- 4Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- 5Simmer for 45 minutes-1 hour, until meat is tender.
- 6Remove meat from pot.
- 7Add carrots to sauce, which should be thickening up a little and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- 8Add potatoes and simmer for another 30-45 minutes until veggies are tender. (Can add more water if running low, but will need to add a bit more ketchup also.).
- 9If needed, make a roux with cornstarch and water and thicken the sauce to your liking.
- 10Add meat back to pot and heat through.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 906.1
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 1535.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 33.8 g
- Protein 49.4 g