Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I don't know where my grandma found this recipe but it is one of the family favorites! We always called it "Ketchup Stew." I know, it sounds weird, but it is truly the best stew I have ever had! Great for cold winter nights. Serve with a salad and buttered bread!
- In a large pan, season beef with garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook until browned.
- Place in a large pot, adding water until meat is covered.
- Add ketchup, paprika and onion, stirring until ketchup is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- Simmer for 45 minutes-1 hour, until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from pot.
- Add carrots to sauce, which should be thickening up a little and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer for another 30-45 minutes until veggies are tender. (Can add more water if running low, but will need to add a bit more ketchup also.).
- If needed, make a roux with cornstarch and water and thicken the sauce to your liking.
- Add meat back to pot and heat through.