Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here is a recipe my grandma used to make, it's delicious and I wanted to share it with everyone. Personal note: the layered crust will taste just like a pot pie crust, very salty and unsweet, the peaches make up all the sugar in this dish.
- 4 cups sliced peaches (3-4 peaches)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Layers of crust
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar
- Place the filling ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 2 to 3 minutes and then leave on the stove to thicken.
- Meanwhile put the flour and sugar in a food processor or mixing bowl and blend.
- Add the stick of butter and shortening mix until like coarse bread crumbs (30 seconds).
- Add in the water slowly until it is just moist bread crumbs.
- Work it into a dough and flatten it on a 2 cookie sheets 1/4 in thick.
- bake it at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once it is done rub the 2 tablespoons of butter on top for a lovely glow.
- Cut into 4 pieces and place one in the bottom of deep square pan.
- Put down a layer of filling and then another crust until you run out ending with the crust. DO NOT BAKE ANY FURTHER you are done!
- if desired top with powdered sugar.