1/1 Photo of Grandma's Famous Potatoes Au Gratin
1 hr 15 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My late grandmother's delicious recipe for Potatoes Au Gratin is a family favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup strong chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish or 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1PREHEAT oven to 400°F; MEASURE the GROUP ONE ingredients into a small bowl (3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper); MIX well with fork; SET aside.
- 2PEEL and slice potatoes thinly; PEEL and slice onions thinly (into rings); GRATE 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese.
- 3LIGHTLY grease a 2.5 quart dish or 9x13 baking dish; LAYER 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/2 of the onion, 1/3 of the cheese, and 1/3 of the GROUP ONE mixture.
- 4REPEAT layers, finishing with with remaining potatoes, the remaining GROUP 1 mixture, and the remaining cheese.
- 5COMBINE 1 cup heavy cream with 3/4 cup strong chicken broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine in a bowl; ADD 1 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish (or 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard), and 1 dash ground nutmeg; WHISK mixture well; POUR mixture evenly over potatoes.
- 6SPRINKLE 1/8 cup powdered parmesan cheese, 1 dash paprika, 1 dash freshly cracked pepper and 1/2 teaspoon chives or parsley, evenly over the top of mixture in baking dish for the GARNISH.
- 7BAKE 1 hour.
- 8ALLOW to stand about 10 minutes to cool and set, before serving.
- 10GET READY to melt into your seat after just one taste!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Famous Potatoes Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.7
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 558.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 10.8 g