Recipe by The Spice Guru
My late grandmother's delicious recipe for Potatoes Au Gratin is a family favorite.
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup strong chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons powdered parmesan cheese
- 1 dash paprika
- parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F; MEASURE the GROUP ONE ingredients into a small bowl (3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper); MIX well with fork; SET aside.
- PEEL and slice potatoes thinly; PEEL and slice onions thinly (into rings); GRATE 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese.
- LIGHTLY grease a 2.5 quart dish or 9x13 baking dish; LAYER 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/2 of the onion, 1/3 of the cheese, and 1/3 of the GROUP ONE mixture.
- REPEAT layers, finishing with with remaining potatoes, the remaining GROUP 1 mixture, and the remaining cheese.
- COMBINE 1 cup heavy cream with 3/4 cup strong chicken broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine in a bowl; ADD 1 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish (or 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard), and 1 dash ground nutmeg; WHISK mixture well; POUR mixture evenly over potatoes.
- SPRINKLE 1/8 cup powdered parmesan cheese, 1 dash paprika, 1 dash freshly cracked pepper and 1/2 teaspoon chives or parsley, evenly over the top of mixture in baking dish for the GARNISH.
- BAKE 1 hour.
- ALLOW to stand about 10 minutes to cool and set, before serving.
- GET READY to melt into your seat after just one taste!