1/2 Photos of Grandma's Famous Chile Relleno Bake
The Spice Guru's Note:
My grandmother's delicious original recipe for a cheese-stuffed chile relleno casserole... with an Italian twist. The recipe may be cut in half, and baked in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (27 ounce) can whole green chilies (or 12 fresh roasted)
- 24 ounces monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons powdered parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 8 large beaten eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 (14 ounce) jar pizza sauce
- monterey jack cheese (4 ounces of reserved )
- 1SET oven rack to the center position; PREHEAT oven to 350°F; BUTTER a 3-quart baking dish.
- 2DIVIDE an 8 ounce block of Monterey Jack cheese in half; cut each half into 6 equal slices, for a total of 12 cheese slices (if using a large brick of cheese, cut 1/2" slices into diagons). Shred the remaining 16 ounces cheese (or use pre-shredded Monterey Jack cheese).
- 3DRAIN one 27-ounce can whole green chiles; BLOT chilies well; PLACE into buttered baking dish,.
- 4STUFF 12-16 green chiles with one wedge of cheese; ARRANGE stuffed chiles single-layer, overlapping if necessary (arrange wide ends of chiles beside narrow ends of following chile until all chiles are used).
- 5BLEND the dry ingredients of the batter first in a medium bowl (1/3 cup flour, 4 tablespoons powdered parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary; WHISK in 8 beaten eggs with 1 1/4 cups milk until batter is smooth.
- 6STIR the saute mixture into the batter; POUR the batter over chiles in baking dish; SPREAD 12 ounces (3 cups) shredded cheese evenly over the batter mixture.
- 7BAKE casserole uncovered in a 350°F oven for 35 minutes; LEAVE oven on.
- 8REMOVE casserole from oven; SPREAD one 14-ounce jar pizza sauce evenly over the top; SPRINKLE evenly with the remaining 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded cheese; RETURN to oven and continue baking uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 9ALLOW to cool and set for 5-7 minutes before cutting.
- 10SLICE, serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top High Calcium Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Famous Chile Relleno Bake
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.2
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 181.9 mg
- Sodium 607.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 22.3 g