Recipe by Chef Ronald R.
This recipe was handed down to my mother from my dad's mom. Grandma always served this at Christmas dinner.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb suet
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and salt and add enough water to make a firm dough. Role out dough and cover with fine chopped suet, raisins, sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up like a jelly roll, then role securely in cheese cloth and tie the ends with string.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Keep water well over the pudding.
- Mix sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer to thickness desired and then take off range. Add vanilla or desired flavoring along with butter.
- Slice pudding, spoon over sauce and serve hot.
- NOTE: Ask you butcher or friendly meat department for suet.