Recipe by cookiedog
This pie is so easy to make and won the 1999 American Pie Council's Pie Championship in the Custard Pie Category.
Top Review by Autumn Girl
Wonderful egg custard pie! I was surprised that I didn't like this pie that much initially given the reviews and since I love egg custard. I tried it the night I made it after it was chilled in the refrigerator. The flavor was good, but the custard was too light, more flan-like. After it was refrigerated overnight, however, the custard became firmer and was wonderful. I will be replacing my regular egg custard pie recipe with this one. Recommend making a day ahead of time.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells, deep dish
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 2 1⁄2 cups scalded whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir well. Blend in the scalded milk. For more yellow color, add a few drops yellow food coloring.
- Brush inside bottom and sides of pie crust with egg white to help prevent a soggy crust. Pour custard mixture into piecrust. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. (Please adjust according to your oven) Cool on rack.