Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My grandma makes this every once in a while and she has passed this on to me. I have no idea where she got the recipe but it sure is good!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 egg, as needed to make the cake mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry Jell-O
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) container french vanilla cool whip, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, divided
- 1 baker's semi-sweet chocolate baking square
- Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on package in two 8- or 9-inch round layers.
- Run knife or metal spatula around sides of pans to loosen cake layers.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Stir boiling water into dry gelatin mix at least 2 minute until completely dissolved. Add cold water.
- Pierce cake layers with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Carefully pour half of the gelatin mixture over each cake layer.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Mix sour cream and powdered sugar; gently stir in whipped topping.
- Dip one cake pan in warm water 10 sec.; unmold onto serving plate.
- Spread with 1 cup of the whipped topping mixture.
- Reserve a few cherries for garnish.
- Chop remaining cherries; sprinkle over cake.
- Unmold second cake layer; carefully place on first cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping mixture.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Garnish with reserved cherries.