Recipe by Demelza
My Mom used to make these cookies for my daughter, without the chopped nuts. They are her favorite cookie. The original recipe used shortening, I use butter and add 1 tsp of instant clearjel per cup of flour to stop the cookies from spreading. If you don't have any instant clearjel make sure to chill your cookies prior to baking. I usually only make half a recipe. You can freeze the cookies before baking, just add a couple of minutes to the baking time if using frozen dough.
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter & sugars.
- Add eggs, vanilla & milk, mix well.
- Stir 2 tsp Instant Clearjel into flour (the program doesn't recognize Clearjel in ingredients, but it stops the cookies from spreading when using butter).
- Mix in flour, cocoa, baking soda & salt till well combined.
- Stir in nuts if using & chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoon on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container.