Recipe by ChipotleChick
This was something my grandmother used to make. She passed away a few years ago, and I just recently was given her recipe indexes. I will be posting some of my childhood favorites as a tribute to her. Like many old time recipes, the spices are pretty bland. Feel free to kick this one up with garlic, chili peppers, or whatever you'd like!
Top Review by bullwinkle
This made a very moist chicken. We thought the Dixie Mix would make a nice coating for fried fish. This was the first time I have had a cornmeal coating on fried chicken. It gave a very different texture. Thanks Chipotle Chick. Bullwinkle.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups Crisco or 1 1⁄2 cups other shortening
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all 'Dixie Mix' ingredients.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg, then coat with Dixie Mix.
- Heat Crisco over medium-high.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Transfer the chicken to a shallow baking pan.
- Bake in the oven about 1 hour, or until juices run clear.