Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
These crispy spears have a slightly salty, tart flavor with a good balance of dill, garlic and peppers. They are already great and have only sat for 2 weeks in the brine! My family is requesting I make as many as possible!
- 11 cups water
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup canning salt
- 12 lbs pickling cucumbers, halved lengthwise
- 9 heads fresh dill
- 18 garlic cloves
- 18 small dried hot chili peppers (optional)
- In a dutch oven bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil; boil for 10 minutes.
- Pack cucumbers into quart jars within 1/2 inch of top.
- Place one dill head, two garlic cloves and two peppers in each jar.
- Ladle boiling liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Place lids and screw on bands fingertip tight.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
These were very easy to make; however, I used straight eight cucumbers and quartered them lengthwise because we had so many from the garden. They do have a lot of seeds and I still have more so I am going to remove the seeds. I will post another comment when we open a jar and taste them.