Recipe by nuts about music
This is an eggless, milkless, butterless cake. " A delicious spiced cake that's easy on the budget". I found this recipe in the "Guideposts" magazine (August 2009 issue). The recipe was part of a wonderful article with the same title written by Rosemary Marbach.
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups dark raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine sugar, water, vegetable oil, raisins, and spices in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Take pan off heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve baking soda and salt in 2 teaspoons of water and add to raisin mixture (it will foam).
- Blend in the flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 inch square pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick unserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for about 10 minutes before serving.