These cookies have two layers of delicious and light sugar cookies sandwiched with date filling. I even loved these as a kid, when dates weren't COOL!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups dates, cut up fine (You may use a combination of figs, raisins and dates -l/2 cup each- if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1Mix in a sauce pan the dates, sugar and TBSP of flour, water, and lemon juice. Cook this for about 5 minutes on a medium heat, until all are blended well.
- 2Mix together the shortening, sugar, and eggs.
- 3Stir in the 2 Tbsps. thick cream and l teaspoons vanilla.
- 4Sift together the 2 1/2 cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Add to shortening mix to form dough.
- 5Chill dough for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- 6Roll out dough in thin layers in small batches and cut with round cookie cutter.
- 7Put mixture (about a tbsp.) in the center between 2 thin cookies pressed together.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees on lightly greased sheet pan for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Date Filled Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.4
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 68.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 18.3 g
- Protein 2.1 g