Recipe by Epi-curious
These cookies have two layers of delicious and light sugar cookies sandwiched with date filling. I even loved these as a kid, when dates weren't COOL!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, cut up fine (You may use a combination of figs, raisins and dates -l/2 cup each- if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or 2 tablespoons canned milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix in a sauce pan the dates, sugar and TBSP of flour, water, and lemon juice. Cook this for about 5 minutes on a medium heat, until all are blended well.
- Mix together the shortening, sugar, and eggs.
- Stir in the 2 Tbsps. thick cream and l teaspoons vanilla.
- Sift together the 2 1/2 cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Add to shortening mix to form dough.
- Chill dough for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Roll out dough in thin layers in small batches and cut with round cookie cutter.
- Put mixture (about a tbsp.) in the center between 2 thin cookies pressed together.
- Bake at 350 degrees on lightly greased sheet pan for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.