Recipe by Wildflour
These are by far my favorite "cookie". Rich, chewy, and will ALWAYS remind me of her.
Top Review by La Dilettante
I just recommended these on a forum asking for ideal edible gifts for the holidays. I use an almost identical recipe, but have not added cherries before---nice idea for color! And the other reviewer is right---even "date haters" love these!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) packagechopped dates
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped maraschino cherry
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy-bottomed,lg.
- saucepan or pot,melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar and dates.
- Cook til sugar is melted.
- Remove from heat and QUICKLY stir in egg well.
- Return to med.
- heat, stirring constantly, til boiling.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in rest of ingredients, and let cool off til easily handled.
- Roll into balls, about 1" or so, roll in powdered sugar to coat.
- Store airtight.
- (Can chill if desired, but serve room temp.).