Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Easy Icebox "cake" with a wholesome, handmade, stove cooked custard... guaranteed to remind you of good times in the kitchen with your Gram. Prep time is creation time and cook time is chill time.
- 6 -8 dozen ladyfingers (usually 2 doz. to a package; 3 or 4 packages)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of (or use orange for orange cake)
- 1⁄2 fresh lemon rind, of (or orange for orange cake)
- whipped topping
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- maraschino cherry (to garnish)
- In a double boiler, combine well beaten egg yolks, granulated sugar, milk and cornstarch.
- Cook slowly until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Mixture will become like thick custard.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and rind.
- Set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and confectioner's sugar very well.
- Add cooked egg mixture and mix with mixer until incorporated.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff.
- Fold into egg& sugar mixture very lightly by hand (leave small lumps of whites).
- Lightly grease spring form pan, bottom and sides.
- With strips of fingers (round side out), line side of pan (keeping them in the strip& not tearing them apart helps hold them up).
- Line pan bottom w/ concentric circles of single layer lady fingers (flat side down), putting fingers end to end.
- Break one or two fingers to fill in gaps.
- Cover bottom lady fingers with a layer of filling.
- Arrange another layer of concentric fingers, and add another layer of filling.
- Continue until filling is all used.
- End with a final layer of fingers.
- (Usually it will not go to the very top of the side fingers.) Try and reserve 4-5 of the best fingers for top garnish.
- Place in icebox and chill thoroughly, at least 12 hours or overnight.
- To serve: Remove to cake platter when ready to serve.
- Bend the tips of the edge lady fingers down and cover top layer of fingers (to the bent-edges of the side fingers) with a layer of whipped cream.
- Cut reserved fingers in half, lengthwise, and decorate top of cake with"spokes.
- "Add cherries (blot off excess liquid to prevent red color bleeding into the whipped cream).