Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe my grandmother made all the time. I didn't like raisins, so she always made half without. Was I spoiled, or what? Like many of her old recipes that I have found, she didn't have instructions, just ingredients. (she used a wood stove to cook until I was in junior high (1960s), so many of her recipes just said bake in a hot oven, etc.) I tend to write down ingredients but no directions myself! NOTE: See step #8 for directions on baking as an oblong cake.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sour milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tins or cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners.
- With pastry knife or fingers, cut butter into flour and sugar until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add remaining ingredients to flour mixture and stir until just mixed.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over tops.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- To make a cake, pour batter into a greased and floured oblong baking pan and top with reserved crumbs. Bake as above.
Thought these were just great, & I'll admit to being generous with the cinnamon (love that stuff)! Had intended to share the batch with a neighbor couple, but within about a 10-hour period, 3 of us had pretty much finished off all of 'em! That good, especially when fresh ~ I doubt if I'd ever be able to tell you how good (or bad?) they might be on the 2nd or 3rd day! Well worth making again! Many thanks! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
They didn't pack the punch I thought they would with that much cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe more cinnamon is needed. I made sour milk with milk and lemon juice and made 1/2 with raisins, half without. I got 17 muffins out of this and my muffins weren't over flowing. 22 mins in my oven was perfect. My daughter will love the addition of raisins!
These taste wonderful! I halved the recipe, and used milk with vinegar for the buttermilk. I also soaked my raisins before adding so they would be extra juicy. I'm not sure if it is because I halved the recipe, but my crumb mix on top ended up looking like melted cream cheese...so I may not add the photo. I'll post one in the holiday forum and if you'd like it, I'll add it to the recipe. Loved the flavor combination....like a little spice cake. Thanks for sharing!