This is a recipe my grandmother made all the time. I didn't like raisins, so she always made half without. Was I spoiled, or what? Like many of her old recipes that I have found, she didn't have instructions, just ingredients. (she used a wood stove to cook until I was in junior high (1960s), so many of her recipes just said bake in a hot oven, etc.) I tend to write down ingredients but no directions myself! NOTE: See step #8 for directions on baking as an oblong cake.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tins or cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners.
- With pastry knife or fingers, cut butter into flour and sugar until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add remaining ingredients to flour mixture and stir until just mixed.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over tops.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- To make a cake, pour batter into a greased and floured oblong baking pan and top with reserved crumbs. Bake as above.