Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
A recipe from 1945 that carries on the tradition of warm memories. Great to enjoy on Christmas morning.
Top Review by Bev
Very nice crumb cake! Nice texture and flavor! I made as directed with ease. Next time I prepare this, I think I may add a few toasted almonds to the topping! This recipe would be great served for breakfast or for snack. Thanks, Shirl, for sharing your recipe with us!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Cut in shortening, reserve 1/2 cup; set aside.
- Place beaten egg in a measuring cup and add enough milk to equal one cup.
- Add vanilla and combine with flour mixture, mix well.
- Pour into a greased 8 x 8 pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved dry mixture.
- Dot with butter, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake 25 minutes at 375°.