Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Hot Italian sausage is what makes this sauce extraordinary and the slow simmering in the crock pot.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch scallion, finely chopped
- 1 (30 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 36 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- In heated heavy skillet break up ground beef and sausage cook chopping up large pieces til meat is no longer pink, drain off fat.
- Saute seasonings and vegetables in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Scrape into crock pot, add meat and remaining ingredients to crock pot, stir well.
- Turn crock pot on low simmer 8-12 hours.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti.
This was just OK for me, flavor wasn't bad but it was too watery--I will probably simmer the sauce on the stove to thicken. Don't think I would make this one again as it just doesn't have the thickness or the richness my family looks for with spaghetti sauce. Sorry.
This was good. My DH and I enjoyed it, but the kids thought it had too much bell peppers.
Delicious!! No need for any changes here...recipe is sopt on! It produces a very flavoursome Spahetti Sauce. I can't believe it's been on Zaar for nearly 6 years and has had no reviews. If your after a rich spaghetti sauce with very little effort this is the one. As the flavour of the Italian Sausage really shines through use good quality ones.