Recipe by L DJ
Hot Italian sausage is what makes this sauce extraordinary and the slow simmering in the crock pot.
Top Review by Groundhog Gal
This was just OK for me, flavor wasn't bad but it was too watery--I will probably simmer the sauce on the stove to thicken. Don't think I would make this one again as it just doesn't have the thickness or the richness my family looks for with spaghetti sauce. Sorry.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch scallion, finely chopped
- 1 (30 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 36 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In heated heavy skillet break up ground beef and sausage cook chopping up large pieces til meat is no longer pink, drain off fat.
- Saute seasonings and vegetables in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Scrape into crock pot, add meat and remaining ingredients to crock pot, stir well.
- Turn crock pot on low simmer 8-12 hours.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti.