Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Pure comfort food at its best!! Recently I stumbled across a box of my grandparents belongings and this is one of the treasures I rediscovered. This meal is like a warm hug from my grandma! Delicious and easy, easy, easy!!
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, course grind
- 6 ounces albacore tuna or 6 ounces chunk tuna
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 3 ounces diced pimentos
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (optional)
- 8 -12 biscuits
- Prepare biscuits and have them baking in oven.
- In a deep sauce pan melt the butter and whisk in flour to make a roux.
- When your butter/flour mixture has cooked for a few minutes begin to add the milk slowly, whisking frequently to ensure a smooth white sauce.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to an "almost" boil, while continuing to whisk. Once you reach this point turn your heat back down to low. (You might have to take pan off of the burner for a minute or two if you are using electric so as not to scald white sauce).
- Add tuna, peas, and pimentos and lightly stir to combine ingredients throughout the sauce.
- **Here is where you would add your cream cheese (cut into small cubes) to your sauce if you are using it.
- Cook on low to medium low heat until heated thorougly, stirring occasionally.
- Just before biscuits are done slice your hard boiled eggs and add to your creamed tuna.
- Give the sauce one last stir and then serve over hot biscuits.
I ended up using diced ham instead of tuna because I thought it would go over better. I added a little dry mustard but should have used more. Maybe some cayenne too.
Salt and pepper way too heavy for us/recommend maybe half tsp at most. Didn't try the cream cheese...liked using the hard boiled eggs.