Recipe by ChipotleChick
This is my uncle's favorite sweet that my grandma used to make. You can fill with any thick filling such as puddings, or you can use Cool Whip or whipped cream.
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boiling in a medium pan.
- Add crisco, and stir until melted.
- Return to boiling and quickly add flour and salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until it is a smooth, compact mass.
- Cool slightly.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat until mixture is thick and shiny. Shape into 12 balls (mounds for cream puffs, or shape them a little oblong for eclairs).
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Make a slit in the side, top, or bottom, and cool.
- Using a spoon or pastry bag, fill with preferred custard, pudding, or whipped cream.
- Chill if desired.