1/1 Photo of Grandma's Cream of Potato Soup or Broccoli Soup
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Jim Tasker's Note:
This recipe has a slight smoky flavor due to the deli bacon. Broccoli can be substituted for potatoes for Cream of Broccoli Soup. **This recipe can also be used for Clam Chowder. Eliminate the broccoli and use Chopped Clams.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1757.67 g) can college inn chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 4 stalk celery (diced)
- 4 medium carrots (diced)
- 118.29 ml cubed ham (optional)
- 113.39 g of deli bacon (smoked)
- 1 medium Spanish onion (diced)
- 946.0 ml heavy cream
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.14-118.29 ml cornstarch
- 340.19 g cheddar cheese (optional)
If making Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 head broccoli, chopped, peel stems of skins and slice (skins are tough and bitter)
- 1Empty cans of chicken broth in pot.
- 2Add cubed potatoes and bring to a boil.
- 3While potatoes are starting to cook pan fry bacon until crisp and add bacon grease to chicken and potato broth.
- 4Crumble bacon and add to broth.
- 5Add diced ham to broth (optional).
- 6In a sauce pan melt butter and add diced onion, celery and carrots.
- 7Pan fry until soft.
- 8When potatoes are done add the celery, carrot and onion mixture with butter to broth.
- 9Reduce heat to medium and add about 1/4 to 1/2 of the quart of heavy cream.
- 10Be careful not to have soup at a heavy boil or cream will curdle.
- 11Add enough cream to make soup look creamy throughout.
- 12Add cheese (optional).
- 13Mix corn starch with very cold water and add to soup.
- 14Continue medium boil until soup thickens.
- 15If it isn't thick enough repeat corn starch and add slowly.
- 16Remove from heat and enjoy.
- 17Soup will thicken when it gets cold.
- 18Can add milk or water to thin out.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Cream of Potato Soup or Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.3
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.3 g
- Saturated Fat 33.6 g
- Cholesterol 187.9 mg
- Sodium 1035.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 17.0 g