Cook1 hr 15 mins
This recipe has a slight smoky flavor due to the deli bacon. Broccoli can be substituted for potatoes for Cream of Broccoli Soup. **This recipe can also be used for Clam Chowder. Eliminate the broccoli and use Chopped Clams.
- 2 (31 ounce) canscollege inn chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 4 stalks celery (diced)
- 4 medium carrots (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup cubed ham (optional)
- 1⁄4 lb of deli bacon (smoked)
- 1 medium Spanish onion (diced)
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese (optional)
If making Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped, peel stems of skins and slice (skins are tough and bitter)
- Empty cans of chicken broth in pot.
- Add cubed potatoes and bring to a boil.
- While potatoes are starting to cook pan fry bacon until crisp and add bacon grease to chicken and potato broth.
- Crumble bacon and add to broth.
- Add diced ham to broth (optional).
- In a sauce pan melt butter and add diced onion, celery and carrots.
- Pan fry until soft.
- When potatoes are done add the celery, carrot and onion mixture with butter to broth.
- Reduce heat to medium and add about 1/4 to 1/2 of the quart of heavy cream.
- Be careful not to have soup at a heavy boil or cream will curdle.
- Add enough cream to make soup look creamy throughout.
- Add cheese (optional).
- Mix corn starch with very cold water and add to soup.
- Continue medium boil until soup thickens.
- If it isn't thick enough repeat corn starch and add slowly.
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
- Soup will thicken when it gets cold.
- Can add milk or water to thin out.