1 hr 15 mins
Chef #831701's Note:
When I was a little girl, cold winter nights at my grandmothers always called for her wonderful potato soup. She would serve it with fresh hot cornbread or home made yeast rolls and it warmed you all the way to your toes. It always brings back memories of a wonderful woman who was a great influence in my life. I still miss her. Sometime she would add fresh broccoli, and it was also great. I misplaced this recipe once and searched the web over never finding another even close. Thankfully, I had given a copy to a friend and was able to get it back.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (31 ounce) chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup ham, cubed (optional)
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 quart heavy cream, evaporated milk can be substituted
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1Empty broth in large pot. Add cubed potatoes and bring to a boil.
- 2While potatoes are starting to cook, microwave bacon until crisp and add grease to potatoes.
- 3Crumble bacon and add along with diced ham.
- 4Saute celelry, carrots and onion in melted butter until soft.
- 5When potatoes are done, add veggies and butter to pot.
- 6Reduce heat and add 1/4 to 1/2 quart cream to pot. Be careful not to bring to heavy boil or cream will curdle.
- 7Mix corn starch in very cold water and add to soup. Continue to cook until soup thickens.
- 8Remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with cheese, if desired, and serve with fresh bread. (Cornbread, rolls, or french bread work well.).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Cream of Potato or Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (656 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 963.9
- Calories from Fat 693
- Total Fat 77.0 g
- Saturated Fat 44.8 g
- Cholesterol 250.5 mg
- Sodium 1321.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 16.8 g