Recipe by Scandigirl
On a cold winter day in Denmark, my Grandmother would make us a hot bowl of soup after an afternoon playing in the snow. Yummmmmmy. I use the canned chicken broth, but she always had chicken stock on hand, and she used celery root instead of our celery stalks.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small turnip, cut in four and sliced thinly (1/4")
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 potatoes, sliced thinly (1/4")
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly (1/4")
- salt & pepper
- 2 stalks parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups hot chicken stock
- garlic-flavored croutons (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter is hot, add all vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the cover, add the spices and the hot chicken stock, and continue to cook for 8 minutes.
- Serve with garlic croutons if desired.