Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Grandma's Oatmeal Coconut Krispies
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oats, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter with mixer and add both sugars, beating well.
- Add eggs til well blended.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients.
- Add to sugar mixture.
- Stir in coconut, cereal, vanilla, and nuts.
- Drop by tblsp.
- onto baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minute.
- or til lightly brown.
- Remove from pan to cool.
Excellent cookie! Nice and crispy, yet chewy!! I used the Christmas rice crispies that I had leftover, which made them even more attractive to my kids!! A nice addition would be some nutmeg or allspice. Next time around, I'll cut the salt in half, but other than that-- superb!
I think I would cut back on the sugar if I make these again.
Wonderful recipe. The coconut doesn't overpower the taste. Everything is very nicely equal and it has a nice texture. DC loved them and kept coming back for more. My son exclaimed that they were the best cookies!