Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This was my grandma's recipe and a favorite at holiday meals.
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 flaky pastry crust (aunt nancy's)
- Combine eggs, salt and sugar.
- Add milk and vanilla slowly.
- Line pie pan with prepared pastry and pour in filling.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and coconut.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 30-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean.
Thanks for sharing your grandma's pie recipe 2rosebud. We really enjoyed this quick and easy to make recipe. I did get two pies from this thought, instead of just one...It had a nice custard and was not too sweet. A very nice comfort food.
I always hate to write anything but glowing reviews...but personally found this pie a bit too "eggy" tasting for my own tastes. The rest of the balance in the pie is good and it went together and cooked beautifully but I guess I like a lighter custard type taste rather than richer egg type. Thanks for posting!
This was a very easy, great tasting pie. This was the first time I had ever made a custard pie!I didn't know how easy it could be. I loved the combination of the nutmeg and coconut. Next time I make this, I plan to add some toasted coconut on the top as well. Thanks for sharing your recipe.