Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
City Chicken the way my Polish Grandma made it. It was the very, very best. It's one that was never written down. You just watched and learned. Very comforting food!!!
- 1 lb veal tenderloin, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup saltine, medium crushed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Thread veal and pork cubes onto 8 6-inch skewers, pushing pieces tightly together. In bowl, mix together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- Place cracker crumbs in zip lock baggie. Dip meat into egg mixture, then coat in cracker mixture.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the meat about 4 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Place chicken in glass baking dish.
- In small bowl, stir together the flour and water until smooth. Combine with broth and pour over chicken.
- Cover Chicken with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour. Remove foil for last 10 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
I have this in the oven as we speak....the only thing that is missing in the recipe is the temp. of the oven when you bake it.
The BEST ever!! Reminds me of City Chicken at the Polish Village Cafe in Hamtramck, Mi!! Sometimes I double the gravy that goes over the top... I serve with Sour Kraut (1/2 Polish and 1/2 Bavarian), Red-Skinned mashed potatoes and green beans! Also, I serve hot Polish Dill Pickle Soup before the meal! A great traditional Polish dinner! I need to put my Dill Pickle Soup recipe on here. It's to die for! Thank you for this GREAT recipe!!!
What a great dish!! My aunt made this for us when I was little and now I am the only one left who can make it. I have handed down this recipe to my kids in hopes they will carry on the tradition. I use breadcrumbs instead of the crackers but have had it many times with crackers when no breadcrumbs were available. Thanks so much for submitting this awesome Polish dish!!