Recipe by Epi Curious
Clipped from the newspaper a few years ago, this recipe is from executive chef Sean McLendon at Chops restaurant in Atlanta, GA. You will have leftover ganache and frosting that you can use to decorate holiday cookies or cupcakes. Prep time includes cooking time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon coffee
- 2 ounces red food coloring (two 1-oz. bottles)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (can substitute bittersweet choc.)
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cognac (or brandy)
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar (1 lb. box)
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate ganache (see recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- To make the cake: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt and stir to blend. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and oil. Add Coca-Cola, coffee, food coloring and vanilla and mix to combine. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Divide equally into pans. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans and cool completely on a rack.
- To make the ganache: Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a saucepan, heat cream and butter just to boiling. Pour over chocolate and allow it to stand for 2 minutes. Add cognac and whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- To make the frosting: With an electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese. On low speed, gradually add sugar. Scrape down beater and sides of bowl and stir to incorporate. Increase speed and beat well to combine. Add salt, ganache and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Assembly: Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with frosting. Add second layer and frost top and sides of cake.